During the 1920’s, an original settler of the Lofall area, Sven Lalander, was working on a bridge to cross this creek. During construction, Mr. Lalander’s scaffolding failed him, and he had to leap to safety. Since then, local residents have called it, Jump Off Creek. Recently, a sign was placed on the creek identifying it as “Jump Off Joe Creek.” Proponents felt this confusion was caused by the several Jump Off Joe Creeks elsewhere in Washington State.
On the 15th of January 2012 the U.S. Board on Geographic Names made the historical name official.